Friday, June 22, 2012

Salt & Vinegar Grilled Potatoes


Potatoes: the waxier the better

We had some sun and heat (well, it was, like, 70) here in Seattle on Wednesday and Thursday, so I used the rare break from 63-degree temps and rain to attend a barbeque – and I had one of the best potato dishes I’ve ever had.

Grilling potatoes isn’t super common, but the host at the barbecue swore by his mother’s recipe for salt-and-vinegar flame-roasted potatoes. I didn’t take down his recipe, but today I found a similar one on SeriousEats.com. It’s so easy and delicious. Here’s their recipe distilled (har, har) through me:

  • 1 pound of potatoes (my favorite are red or “new” potatoes) sliced in thick chips
  • 2 cups of white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of oil
  • Kosher salt – as much as you desire
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste

Bring the potatoes and the vinegar to a boil, then reduce to a simmer under potatoes are just tender. Remove from heat and let the vinegar and potatoes mingle until cool. Strain, then toss with the oil, lots of salt, and a little pepper.

While the potatoes are cooling, fire up your grill (that is, if you have charcoal – the best way to add smoky flavor). Make sure you oil the grilling grate. I cannot stress the importance of this step. If you don’t oil your grate, you’ll ruin your food! 

OK, now you’re ready to grill. Place the potatoes down and grill evenly on each side until charred and slashed with grill marks. Add more salt, and enjoy with fried chicken, hamburgers, or even a salad.

No comments: