Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Round, Square or Belgian?


How do you prefer your waffles? Round, square or Belgian?

I personally love Belgian waffles - nice and crispy on the outside and soft and cake-like on the inside. Big, puffy, golden brown Belgian waffles.

And why am I tempting your taste buds with waffles, you may be asking. Well, because it's National Waffle Iron Day of course! Yes, another holiday based on a fun kitchen electric.


A couple of years ago I was on the hunt for a really great waffle iron. I didn't want your run-of-the-mill flat, square waffle iron. I also didn't really want a huge contraption that was going to take up half of my kitchen counter (I have a rather small kitchen where counter space is extremely valuable.) So the hunt was on!

Most of the waffle irons I found made the typical, flat, square waffles that I was not completely fond of. Then I went to one of the big box stores and found the industrial, commercial style contraption that you flip over half way through the cooking time. But, wow was it a monster! It made the perfect Belgian waffles, but could barely fit through my kitchen door! Next I hit some thrift stores, figuring I could find a good, old, traditional iron to make my beloved Belgians. Still no luck!

At this point, I have given up the hunt. I still look every time I'm at a flea market or barn sale - in hopes of finding my vintage Belgian beauty. But as of now, the only waffles I get to make are while staying in a hotel with a "complimentary" breakfast bar. But it's still fun filling the iron with batter and flipping over the large contraption half way through - it makes me feel like a kid again!

If you're looking for a great Belgian waffle recipe, check out this one from Tina over at "My Life as a Mrs." Her recipe sounds delicious and her photos are enough to induce extreme salivation. (see photos in this post, we borrowed them from her).

Do you prefer round, square or Belgian waffles? Order them for your next breakfast out as an ode to the wondrous Waffle Iron!


No comments: